Monday, May 3, 2010

A journey for water

This weekend I was in Port au Prince to do a bit of shopping. But Saturday turned out to be Labor Day in Haiti and all the stores were closed. So I took the opportunity to go exploring in the mountains above Port au Prince. I stopped at the Baptist Mission for my usual banana split, mmm, sooo goood. The veranda of the cafe looks across this spectacular deep gorge in the mountains. I've always wondered how people get over there, so I asked the security guard. He said to head up the mountain a bit more to Kenscoff and then hang a right. Within a few minutes I was hanging a right at Kenscoff and off on another rocky trail in Haiti. Every time I start off on one of these I say a little prayer that my motorbike won't fall apart on the way.
After about 30 minutes down this trail I stopped to enjoy the view.




I noticed a girl with an empty bucket about to descend the valley in search of water. I asked how far it was to the water source and she replied, "not far". So I left my motorbike and started hiking with her, down, down and down further. We finally arrived at the spring. It was only a trickle of water out of the mountain. The girl used a plate to scoop a bit of water, pour it into a bowl and then into her bucket. It took about 5 minutes to fill a 5-gallon bucket.

The ladies at the spring were having all kinds of fun with me. They kept trying to talk me out of my watch, my backpack and my money. I managed to keep them at bay for the most part. But here's Beatrice with my helmet on.

Then, after 30 minutes of filling buckets, our group was ready to start the journey home.


The trail goes up.

And up
What a journey...

3 comments:

  1. IT IS AMAZING... THE BEAUTY - BREATH OF FRESH AIR IN THE MIDST OF CHALLENGES... THE USE OF THE LAND (NOTICED THE PATCHWORK OF AGRICULTURE ON THE STEEP SLOPES)... WE SEEM TO LIMIT THE DESIGN OF DEVELOPMENTS AND FARMING TO 2-10%... WITH OUT DIFFICULTY! WELL I KNOW THERE IS MUCH DIFFICULTY IN USING SUCH... AND GATHERING THE WATER! I GUESS IF IT WERE ME... I WOULD HAVE TO MAKE TRIPS WITH 2 GAL WATER EACH - NOT SURE IF MY NECK WOULD HANDLE IT. BUT I GUESS IF YOU START WHEN YOU ARE SMALL.

    SHAPE-UP CHALLENGE TIME AROUND HERE... BET THEY DON'T NEED THAT! WALKING A FEW MILES EACH DAY... SEVERAL TIMES PERHAPS FOR BASIC NECESITIES... THAT NEED IS HERE AS "EASE THROUGH TRANSPORTATION" AND "OBLIGATIONS" CONSUME TIME HERE. PROGRESS?!?!? BOTTOM LINE... GOD GIVES US BEAUTY IN ALL THAT IS AROUND... AND PEACE IN THE MIDST OF TRIALS - HE IS WITH US...

    PSALM 29: (2)Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness...

    (3)The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth... (4)The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty. (5)The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon... (8)The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh. (10)The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever...

    WHERE IS GOD IN THE MIDST OF ALL OF THESE NATURAL DISASTERS... HE IS WITH ALL THAT HAVE PERISHED... ALL THAT HAVE BEEN LEFT BEHIND... IN THOSE GIVING THEIR TIME TO HELP THEM... IT IS PROMISED THROUGHOUT HIS WORD...

    11The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace. PRICELESS! SUE L

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice that you go out and explore. I love seeing your pictures, makes me think about water every time i turn the faucet. elisia from Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just can't figure out how they can walk with the buckets on their heads... especially no hands holding onto the bucket (the one)... Sue L

    ReplyDelete